Re: setting initial prompt of gdmlogin using PAM conversation fun ctio n

On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 06:28:45PM -0800, Naomaru Itoi wrote:
> Thanks for your reply, George.
>
> Now I understand why it won't work with gdmgreet (and gdmlogin) as it is.
>
> I think there's a relatively simple solution, though.
>
> How about we add an option to gdmgreet (or gdmlogin?  or both?  which one is
> used more?), let's say --no-username-prompt, which would make it call
> pam_authenticate() with a NULL username and a NULL password, before putting
> up a "Username:" prompt?

Sorry for the late reply, I'm somewhat busy with my thesis :)

But the greeter does not do the pam_authenticate, that's what the daemon
does, it just uses the greeter for communication.  The change must be done
to the daemon.  It is not a trivial change, but also it's not such a horribly
complicated change.  Some issues need to be solved such as the face browser
and such and how would they interact with no-username kind of login.

George

--
George <jirka 5z com>
   relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.