Re: gdm , chooser and the lost banana peel.

On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 02:40:57AM -0700, Richard wrote:
> Good morning
>
> I have two RH 9 linux machines and plan to convert to linux
> several more on the lan.What id like to do is from each
> workstation being able to log into any of the workstations.
>
> Up to now i been typing X :1 vt08 -query so.me.i.p and
> this has  worked.I even made a desktop item to launch it .. well..
> I heard that through , and seen it pop up once in my trials
> chooser when i first login the machine i could set up chooser
> to do just that.
>
> I was trying to locate real documentation / how-to get chooser running.
> I have seen it pop up, but some other settings  were  wrong and
> i had to use the rescue disk to get gdm working peoperly .
>
> Now two things.Am i looking at the right place ?
> And if  so .. has anyone  written a  simple how to , to get chooser/gdm
> working ?

Basically the chooser works this way:

If the gdm daemon gets an indirect query it runs a chooser for the user and
then next time the user does an indirect query it forwards the query to the
appropriate host.  To set it up locally what you would do is enable
xdmcp on the local machine, enable indirect queries and then run
X with "-indirect localhost".  For example to currently do a chooser on
the local machine as the main display then add a new server definition
such as

[server-Chooser]
name=Chooser
command=/usr/X11R6/bin/X -terminate -indirect localhost
flexible=false
handled=false

Now in your [servers] section
write

[servers]
0=Chooser

In the GNOME 2.4 version (gdm v2.4.2.97 is the current devel release) there
is an actual chooser server type so that you don't have to run xdmcp on the
local machine.

Also good to try is to run 'gdmXnestchooser', that runs Xnest for you with
'-indirect localhost' so that you get a chooser and an X session in a window.

George

--
George <jirka 5z com>
   I killed the cat.   -- Sid Vicious