Re: gdm and profiles

On Sat, Jul 05, 2003 at 10:52:00PM -0500, matt zagrabelny wrote:
> hi,
>
> i am not on the mailing list, so please copy me on any replies.
>
> i am having trouble with gdm and my PATH variable. it seems that the
> profiles (/etc/profile and ~/.bash_profile) are not being run when i
> login via gdm. but they are when i login remotely via ssh.
>
> i dont know how-to or where-to debug this one. please help.
>
> my version of gdm is 2.4.1.3-2 (i run debian, sid)

Hmmm, I'm not actually sure what debian does to gdm with respect to starting
a session.  It seems that all distros tend to change how this works anyway.
Look at the session file that is being run /etc/X11/gdm/Sessions (the one
you picked on login) and you could perhaps figure out why it's not running.
Normally in the 2.4.1.3 version, this script is run with your shell in login
mode.  In the latest CVS devel versions this is all changed to something that
the distros won't muck with much.

George

--
George <jirka 5z com>
   If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.