setting initial prompt of gdmlogin using PAM conversation functio n

Title: setting initial prompt of gdmlogin using PAM conversation function

Hi,

Thank you for your great job as usual.

We are writing a smartcard PAM module, and are trying to set a prompt in GDM Greeter (gdmlogin).  We want to prompt something like "Please enter username or insert smartcard" at the begining of the login process.  We are testing this with gdmlogin.

We can set a prompt using a conversation function all right.  This is good.  (Thanks!)

However, gdmlogin always displays a prompt "Username" before calling pam_sm_authenticate().  It is only after a user enters a username and hits Enter Key that pam_sm_authenticate() is called.  So our PAM module doesn't have a chance to override the initial message.

Is there any way to work around it and display a different message as the initial message?

I guess we can replace the greeter by changing gdm.conf.  But we would like to limit our code to the PAM module, if possible.

Thank you.

--
Concentration ... Naomaru Itoi