Re: new SUP protocol additions / the shutdown stuff

On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 01:17:23AM +0100, Jarno Gassenbauer wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Please check if reporting the currently set logout action makes
> sense.
>
> (I'm using this in a patch to gnome-panel that adds the buttons
> shutdown/reboot/suspend to the actions menu. When they get clicked,
> gnome-panel sets the logout action in gdm and invokes a log out.
>
> Then, gnome-session requests the currently set logout action from
> gdm, pre-activates the correct radio button in the logout dialog,
> and thus never has to talk to gnome-panel directly. The user can
> confirm his shutdown/reboot/suspend request by just pressing
> the OK button from the gnome-session logout dialog...)

While I don't think it's very useful I've added the ability to find out (a
'!' is appeneded to the action which was selected)

In any case, storing intermediate data with gdm instead of properly passing
to gnome-session from gnome-panel is not the right way to do it.  For example
it has the side effect that a shutdown or reboot may be initiated without
ever being confirmed.  Also suspend should not work like that.  The SUSPEND
logout action should only be there for the logout dialog and even there I
don't think it really belongs.  If I'd press 'suspend' on the panel I
wouldn't expect also being logged out.  Suspending is not something that
needs to have something to do with 'logout'

In any case I plan to cook up a patch for gnome-session to add the
shutdown/reboot buttons and make it ONLY tell gdm once the user confirms he
wants to do that.

George

--
George <jirka 5z com>