Re: UI change of "Languge" selection in gdm2

Hi George,

Just want to ping you that I'm still working on the
"sane on-the-fly greeter language switching " patch.
I'll be keeping myself to focus on it.

I'd like to ask for opinions about the following issue we were talking
last time.

> > Currently, gdm is able to provide list of various charsets
> > for one particular language by adding the message (Charset name)
> > after the langauge name (please see snapshots: gdm_various_charsets.rs.gz
> > for Chinese langauge as an example) but I have got the request that users
> > don't like long list of the same langauge in many choices.
>
> It is up to the administrator to setup the language alias file with only
> those that make sense.  I think in the future we're really moving to all utf8
> and languages with more then one possibility of charset will become more and
> more of a rarity so IMO this is not as useful.
>
> Not to mention that as a user I should be presented with a language, not the
> charset.  A regular user will have no clue what a charset is.  If you need to
> regularly use more then one charset something is very broken.

What I'm trying to figure it out is what we can do to help those users
who have their own old files whose names are not in UTF-8
(ex: gb18030, tis620.2533, ...etc)
and they want to move to Gnome environment as smoothly as possible
and, of course, let's say, we will have gdm2 picking up only UTF-8 locale
for all languages. Once users logging-in to their session which is
under UTF-8 locale and they start using Nautilus or gnome-terminal
to browse their old files whose names are not in UTF-8. Of course,
they won't see those file names correctly.

I was told about the idea of "on-the-fly users' session language switching".
This idea is similar to the "sane on-the-fly greeter language switching" patch
I'm supposed to have it done ASAP. Once users logging-in to their own sessions
which will be in UTF-8 locale in the first time and this idea is to provide
users the tool to have them restart gnome-panel and/or gnome-wm to be
restarted in the new language with the option of Non-UTF-8 locale.
Then, users can start any gnome applications (ex: Nautilus or
gnome-terminal,..etc) in the Non-UTF-8 locales so that they can see those
Non-UTF-8 filenames displayed correctly.

After I though about it a bit more, I got the feeling that,
restarting gnome-panel or gnome-wm might be a bit over engineering.
Perhaps, we just need to add option to gnome-panel to launch any applications
in different language/locale. Ex: At the "Launch" menu, the option
"Run Application..." pop-up window, "language/locale" option should be added.

Also, perhaps, gnome-session might need to keep track "langauge/locale" option
for applications when users's configuration file updated after users
logging-out.

It sounds like all those ideas actually may have nothing to do with gdm2
and I was also looking at how gdm2 starts users's sessions to make sure
that there is no change required/needed at all from gdm2. So far, I haven't
seen any need of coding change from gdm2 but I'm 100% garunteed.

I'd like to hear your opinion about it and how we should deal with those
filenames which are not in UTF-8 for this transition because, if we don't
provide this transition and gdm2 will allow only UTF-8 locales for users's
session, we would get a lot of noise from this issue and one of them is
that they want to have gdm2 to allow them to have their sessions in Non-UTF-8
locales.

I think, it would make the whole situation easier to provide the transition
and at that same time, we can be moving forward by reducing the uses of
non-UTF-8 locales and, particularly, the non-UTF-8 locales supports in gdm2.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Chookij V.