GDM problem

Hello all

Am having a problem with GDM. I installed it before and it worked just fine. Then suddenly (well it probably was something I did) one day, GDM wouldnt work. The computer would boot up, and start X just fine, see the grey/white background but it would then "switch" screens and see black for a couple seconds and a message would come up:

"There already appears to be an X server running on display :0. Should I try another display number? If you answer no, I will attempt to start the server on :0 again (You can change consoles by pressing Crtl-Alt plus a function key, such as Crtl-Alt-F7 to go to console 7. X Servers usually run on consoles 7 and higher)"

When I press no, the same thing happens again. If I press yes, the same thing happens again, but the error message will now show :1 instead of :0. Pressing Crtl-Alt-F7 would show the grey background and the cross mouse pointer.

What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks very much for your help in advance

Cheers - Piers