Re: list archives?

Martin K. Petersen wrote:

"Trever" == Trever Furnish <trever wondious com> writes:
Trever> The description field of the Redhat packages of gdm say that
Trever> it "supports running several different X sessions on your
Trever> local machine at the same time".  Could someone verify that

What it means is that (unlike xdm) gdm will serialize spawning of the
local X servers.  So you can run multiple (gdm-managed) servers
simultaneously.

You can switch between these X servers using Ctrl-Alt-F7, Ctrl-Alt-F8,
etc.

Edit /etc/X11/gdm.conf to spawn more servers or use gdmconfig to do it.
Thanks - when I got off my lazy butt and looked at gdm.conf, it became more obvious and what your suggesting worked fine.

I do wish there were some way to not start X+GDM on the additional vc's until someone switches to them though. Ie, user switches to vc8, then X+gdm starts on vc8, user logs in, uses it for a while, logs out, and if no one else logs into vc8 within 1 minute, X+GDM terminate on vc8 and the console switches back to vc7.

Then again, I haven't even looked yet to see if X+gdm uses significant resources when no one is logged in. I'll have to check when I get home. The only bit I'm really concerned about though is whether the second X server uses any video memory while it's not active, which would keep dri from working at nice resolutions and color levels. Again, something I shouldn't talk about till I get DRI working on this box in the first place. :-)

Thanks again for the help.

--
Trever