Problems with Kbrd

Folks,

	I'm sorry if this is a simple question that I should be looking in the
archives for but I'm at work and can't spare much time.

	I have just installed Ximian Gnome 1.4 on a SuSE 7.1 system and am having
problems logging in.

	I would like to be able to use GDM and select either KDE or GNOME as my
sessions.  Unfortunately the keyboard becomes inoperative after several
seconds and I can therefore not login.

	I am able to use the mouse still, so can reboot.  Then I have to very
quickly switch to a non-graphical screen (ALT-F1) as soon as X starts.

	I have seen errors relating to the language but am not sure what is going
wrong.

	Can someone please tell me how I configure GDM on SuSE 7.1 (especially with
relation to the language and keyboard layout, which should be en_UK or en_US
I hope)?

TIA,

Jim George