Re: KDE's XDM broken?

> In a nutshell, KDE's version doesn't seem to work, at least not as
> installed in RH7.1.  Ditto for GNOME (although I'm on KDE at the
> moment).
>
> I went through the HOWTO, but when I start up, like this:
>
> # X -ac -query <ip> :1
>
> all I get is a blank screen.

Did you check that the xdmcp port is open (177 udp)? In most newer
installations is a line in xdm-config:

! SECURITY: do not listen for XDMCP or Chooser requests
! Comment out this line if you want to manage X terminals with xdm
!
!DisplayManager.requestPort:    0

wich is not commented out, which prevents xdm/kdm to listen to the network
socket.

So long,
	   Dirk