Re: Saving (and enforcing) configuration changes ..

Have you looked at /etc/sysconfig/desktop ?

it contains one line that tells /etc/X11/prefdm which window manager you're
using so that it knows which daemon to run (gdm, kdm, xdm). Another script
may call this file as well...

Try changing it or something.. :)

Jeff

To List:

BTW, my Tektronix works with gdm now... I'll be damned but I commented out
the browser function (which I have done before, mind you) and it freaking
works.... Hmmph... :)

-X-----X-----X-----X---
: The system of interest:
:
: Dell Latitude Cpx PIII-500, 256MB RAM
: Running Mandrake 7.0
: WindowMaker 0.61.1
:
: Hmm.. well there's nobody fiddling with the link (other than
: me) since I'm the only one who has ever used this machine ..
: sysadmin, root, user, judge, jury, and executioner .. etc.
:
: Is it possible that Mandrake (or Red Hat) has a script
: sitting somewhere to set this link back to kde without my
: knowing it?  When I originally installed the machine, it was
: set to init run level 3, so GDM was not being used until
: recently, but conceivably, Mandrake may be deciding my
: preferences for me .. great .. just like M$ .. that's why I
: use this stuff ..
:
:
:
: >>>>> "Daniel" == Daniel S Savage <savage multiverse com>
: writes:
:
: Daniel> In /etc/X11/gdm, there's a symlink called Default,
: which upon
: Daniel> installation of GDM points to kde as the default wm
: to be
: Daniel> used.  As root, I have changed thaat symlink to
: point to my
: Daniel> desired wm (WindowMaker).  When I simply restart GDM
: and login
: Daniel> .. the change holds.  However, if the system is
: restarted, the
: Daniel> symlink reverts to pointing at kde.  Is GDM running
: a script
: Daniel> at shutdown that resets the defaults against some
: config file
:
: Nope.  It must be somebody else fiddling with the link.
:
: What distribution are you running?
:
: Whoever wrote the script that changes the Default link will
: be the
: first against the wall when the revolution comes.
:
:
: Daniel> I suppose a better solution to this problem, other
: than
: Daniel> setting the default to my wm of choice, is to
: configure GDM to
: Daniel> use the .xsession or .xinitrc files in all users
: home
: Daniel> directories.  In that case, then, users could
: configure the
: Daniel> way they want their system, and GDM would check that
: file,
: Daniel> automatically point them there.  I have tried this
: (similar to
: Daniel> how it would have been done in XDM) but no luck.
:
: Ideally, the users select their preferred desktop in
: gdmlogin's menu
: and it is saved for future sessions.  Red Hat disables this
: behavior,
: however.
:
: --
: Martin K. Petersen      Principal Linux Consultant,
: Linuxcare, Inc.
: http://mkp.net/         SGI XFS, Linux/PA-RISC, GNOME
:
:
: To unsubscribe, e-mail: gdm-unsubscribe sunsite auc dk
: For additional commands, e-mail: gdm-help sunsite auc dk