Configuration problems

I'm new to this mailing list, and since there is no archive I may be
asking an old known question.

I'm having problems configuring gdm. I've read everything twice. I have
two problems:

1) Even if I specify, in the [security] section, AllowRoot=1, I still
can't login as root. And since I don't have PAM (I'm sure about that, I
built my Linux from scratch), it should not be ignored.
2) When I login as a normal user, it simply does not execute the
scripts. I tried all the possible ways of specifying the path in
gdm.conf (and anyway, I can select my session in gdm). And my scripts
are very simple: factory-default scripts for Pre and PostSession, and
the simple command "gnome-session" in the Session script (no, I haven't
forgot "#!/bin/sh" in any of them). My WM is started in the Init script,
and shouldn't be killed when the user logs in (but in fact, it is!)

Thanks for your help.