Re: gdm+ssh-agent

> GDM will use your .xsession just like xdm (assuming you choose the
> Xsession session type, that is).
>
> I wonder, however, what you gain from using ssh-agent?  The login
> phase is still unencrypted and your password will thus go over the
> wire in cleartext anyway.  Admittedly the window is smaller, but...

I was suggesting using gdm on console, not as an XDMCP-type login.
There is a small gain even if you use XDMCP-type logins since it
is our experience that skript kiddies are not yet snooping X traffic
in order to extract passwords, and spotting ssh-add keyphrases
is not as obvious as looking for telnet style logins, since you don't
get the blatant hints of 'username:' 'password:' whizzing over
the internet.  As you say, the window is smaller...

Anyway, thanks for the help, I will prod gdm later to confirm that
works - I cannot believe I missed that in the documentation.  :-(

Julian
--
Julian King
Computer Officer, University of Cambridge, Unix Support