Re: gdm+ssh-agent

Julian> I've trawled teh GDM reference manual (on
Julian> http://www.socsci.auc.dk/~mkp/gdm/) and there doesn't seem to
Julian> be any other things like a FAQ, so I'll post here.  If someone
Julian> knows of other documentation then I'd be interested to see
Julian> that too, as well as a direct answer to the question.  The
Julian> question is how can I use gdm and ssh-agent?  Under xdm I can
Julian> use .xsession to launch the window manager, so I can arrange
Julian> via some cunning execs to make everything a child of
Julian> ssh-agent.  As far as I can see this doesn't work with
Julian> PreSession files.

GDM will use your .xsession just like xdm (assuming you choose the
Xsession session type, that is).

I wonder, however, what you gain from using ssh-agent?  The login
phase is still unencrypted and your password will thus go over the
wire in cleartext anyway.  Admittedly the window is smaller, but...

--
Martin K. Petersen	Principal Linux Consultant, Linuxcare, Inc.
http://mkp.net/		XFS, Linux/PA-RISC, GNOME, SunSITE Denmark