Re: [gDesklets] about category

Hi,

yeah I agree that the category problem is a real issue. We are already
forcing categories on the website, but unfortunately the
meta-information inside desklets is not dependent on the information on
the site.

One solution would be to handle all desklet submissions to the site by
submitting the display-file. The file would then be parsed and all the
data would be extracted from it. Then we could check if the category
matches with the ones we have defined.

I already implemented this on the control side: controls should be added
by submitting a very simple manifest file that defines all the
variables, like name, description, etc.

On the other hand I've also thought about using tags for desklets (tags
are so web 2.0 ;) ). They would be more flexible than categories and
would solve the problem of having a lot of desklets in the Misc. category..

Anyhow I'm currently very busy with my new job and a thesis that should
be done by autumn, so unfortunately I can't be contributing much during
the summer. I'm sure that once I get my thesis out of the way, I'll
continue to help on 0.40. Let's try to aim for a release this year :D ?

Cheers,
Lauri

--
  Lauri Kainulainen