Re: [gDesklets] Moonlight desklets

Christian Meyer wrote:
have a look at this:
http://idea.opensuse.org/content/ideas/implement-a-client-javascript-for-gtk-andor-moonlight

A very interesting read to start my morning with :). I still think (call me stubborn) that gDesklets with a dedicated renderer and a simple ADL-language+python can beat C# and XAML, but that's just my 2c.

However I'd like to point out a few concepts from moonlight desklets, screenlets, etc. that gDesklets should support (not high priority, just thoughts):

- A richer way to do animations. This is currently our shortfall. I'm not sure how hard it would be to have some kind of simple support using SVG. At least we should think of a very easy API for developers to use animations.

- Widget support and official theme support. This has been discussed earlier. Widgets and themes would make desklet development easier, would allow re-usable components and make the desklets look more unified. Basically the current ADL-elements can be thought of UI-widgets, but we would still benefit greatly if the widgets could be easily themed. I'm really not an expert since I haven't even used SideCandy or any of the other good theme-engines.

It would also be cool to provide support for 3rd party widgets. For instance some one could provide the good'ol TreeView as a widget that is created using python + ADL and others could use it simply by including it in their desklets.

We can already do all this, but I think we should come up with a de facto way so that people could collaborate easier.

Cheers,
lauri