Re: [gDesklets] SideCandy 0.20

Bjoern Koch wrote:
> True! But the problem is, that you can't predict the size of the window
> and the text (theme) the user is using.
> Right now there are some desklets out there where the prefs window does
> not fit on a 800x600 screen with metacity and a standard gnome theme.
> And this doesn't take a lot of entries in one tab to get to this point.
> Of course the developer should have an eye on it, but basically it is
> impossible to have things fit on ALL desktops out there.
>
> *AND*: having NO chance to get to the button on the bottom of the window
> is much much much worse than any scrollbar!
> I don't like scrollbars there either, but "things out of reach" (like
> the "close" button) are a nightmare!

There isn't "no chance" to close the tab, you may use the Escape key.
But 800x600 is quite a rarity these days. I tried to change resolution
to 800x600 on my computer and I can say that majority of GTK+
applications are hardly useful with this resolution and default theme,
but theirs preferences dialogs fit in this resolution though. I prefer
to keep an eye on this when designing preferences window rather then
implementing scrollbars.
> Btw.: if you have too many tabs (or too long titles of the tabs) you
> will run into the same problem that the window is too big and you won't
> be able to push the "close" button on the bottom.

Can you tell me which desklet uses so many tabs for options that they
don't fit in the 800x600 screen resolution? I can imagine more than 10
tabs which fit with no problem at all.

Cheers,

Robo