override syntax for bytestring key

For the Manjaro-Cinnamon edition I am trying to create a gsettings

override for nemo's bulk-rename-tool. The key is of type bytestring ("ay")
The default value I need configured is:
gprename

When I enter that in nemos GUI dialog, 'gsettings get
org.nemo.preferences bulk-rename-tool' returns:
b'gprename'

Equally when I use 'gsettings set org.nemo.preferences bulk-rename-tool
"b'gprename'" the value will be set as desired.

However when I try using an override like
[org.nemo.preferences]
bulk-rename-tool=[b'gprename']

glib-compile-schemas throws an error
can not parse as value of type 'y'

I have tried a variety of different values now but was not able to
figure out a working syntax.

The original key looks like this:

<key type="ay" name="bulk-rename-tool">
      <default>[]</default>
      <summary>Bulk rename utility</summary>
      <description>If set, Nemo will append URIs of selected files and
treat the result as a command line for bulk renaming. Bulk rename
applications can register themselves in this key by setting the key to a
space-separated string of their executable name and any command line
options. If the executable name is not set to a full path, it will be
searched for in the search path.</description>
    </key>

Following the description I tried just
bulk-rename-tool=[b'gprename']

But this results in an error 'unknown keyword'

Your help will be much appreciated
regards
Bernhard