Background Doesn't Change via cron(8)

Hi,

I have just installed Ubuntu 9.04 on my PowerBook G4.  I have a cron job
that suppose to change the background.

* It worked on Ubuntu 8.04
* It works from a terminal
* It changes ~/.gconf/desktop/gnome/background/%gconf.xml

What it doesn't do is change the image.

Apparently, gconfd-2 is not getting informed of the change.  Its cache
still has the old values.  How do I fix this?

--
Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
  Shawn

as it is about coding.

I like Perl; it's the only language where you can bless your
thingy.