Re: gconf doubts

Hi,

gconf is supposed to be abstracting the file storage, in fact it can
theoretically have multiple backends doing the file storage in
different ways. That's why this stuff is not documented.

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 8:57 AM, John Coppens <john jcoppens com> wrote:
> - As things got more complicated (in my program), I decided to subdivide
> saving of options and made (manually) two subdirectories in the original
> app's. They didn't appear until an empty %gconf.xml was copied inside.

That's true. gconfd will probably delete the directories again too, if
they are empty. Directories only exist in gconf if there's something
in them.

> - Can keys and directories be at the same level? I.e., can I have
> directories and a non-empty %gconf.xml at the same level? I did a few
> tests and found that it was _not_ possible, but I may have made some
> mistakes there.

No, each key is either a directory or a value.

> - Am I mistaken that the file/dir permissions _have_ to be 600/700?

The file storage (which files exist, permissions, etc.) is all
"undefined" as far as the API contract goes. There's no control over
it from the gconf API.