Re: corba -> dbus

Havoc,

Thanks for the info and advice.

The option to rewrite from scratch sounds appealing.  However, since I'm relatively new to this, I figured if I tried that now I wouldn't benefit from the accumulated wisdom already in gconf.  I'd probably make most of the same mistakes and then some.

My current plan is roughly:

0. periodically send questions and updates to gconf-list
1. get gconf to go over dbus
2. simplify gconf implementation
3. make a new plan

Do you see any problem with this plan?  Is gconf-list the right place for this stuff?

I'm hoping that by #3 I'll have learned enough to have a go at some more substantial changes to storing preferences.  Like perhaps hashing out a simplified API.

For instance, switching from corba to the per-session dbus would make gconf a per-session program.  How should that work when a person logs in twice?

Thanks for the invitation to pester you with questions - I'll try not to abuse it.

Thanks,
Dave