Odd fedora 4 display problems

Hello,
	I've had a problem that appears to be related to gconf.

A user set his laptop display with the fedora "system-config-display" and screwed up his settings - I have X back with twm at 1024x768 but gnome insists on 800x600 and I'm not sure how to tweak gconf fix it. Does anyone have any ideas?

The user is unfortunately out in the middle of a desert with poor voice communications and no internet connection.

--
David Boston
Computer Systems Administrator

believed to be clean.