Add another default panel

I have revisited this issue again, having the time at present to work on it.

I have a set of launchers I want to make availble to all users (i.e. everytime I
add a user, they get them as well) to either a separate panel or to the top
panel.

I could even live with adding the panel after adding each user by using
gconftool-2 to load it... Alas...

I have read all the doc I can using gconftool-2, i.e. create the panel, --dump
it, then --load it, and it seems to load, that is, the entries seem to be
present when I look with the configuration editor, but the panels don't appear.

So what magic step am I missing here?

Thanks