Re: Sharing /tmp over NFS

Le vendredi 16 décembre 2005 à 12:34 -0600, Joe Baker a écrit :
> Can I share a common /tmp across servers?

It is really a bad idea, mainly because many programs assume /tmp is
local.

> I'd like to know why these files aren't created in $HOME/tmp/ instead
> of the global /tmp directory I don't know.   If I could change this I
> wouldn't see the need for mounting /tmp across machines.

It is wanted on Mandriva (I did the relevant patch) because we set
TMPDIR variable by default to $HOME/tmp and users with home over NFS
logged at the same time on different systems could have problems with
gconf (the second login would not start a local gconf daemon, causing
many problems).

If you really want to share /tmp over NFS, on Mandriva system,
change /etc/profile.d/gconf.{sh,csh} to use /var/tmp instead of /tmp
(for instance).

--
Frederic Crozat <fcrozat mandriva com>
Mandriva