Gconfd tcpip & various gnome versions

I'm running into a problem with Gnome applications trying to talk to gconfd when they are spawned from 2 different servers at the same time to an LTSP thin client machine.  I'm wondering if I can share /tmp from two different machines.  If I could, I believe this problem would vanish because gconfd seems to connect to something called orbit through a file socket in /tmp for each user.  All the Gnome applications  want to register their preferences there.  Another problem might arise when different servers have Gnome applications based on different versions of Gnome -- maybe they have a different schema or protocol that gconfd uses.  I want to mix and match applications from different distributions into the X-Windows thin client environment.  So if somebody wants to run a testing version of Evolution, they can.  Or if they need to run nautilus, they have choices of which version of Nautilus to run.  Firefox seems to spawn a gconfd session from my gentoo box at work.  Then when I try launching some gnome programs next on the main desktop server they have errors about
Adding client to server's list failed, CORBA error: IDL:omg.org/CORBA/COMM_FAILURE:1.0
--
Joe Baker
Network Administrator