Re: [Fwd: GUADEC cancelled due to beer shortage]

On Sat Jun 26 05:42:43 2004, seth vidal wrote:
On Sat, 2004-06-26 at 00:40 -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> The way to fix it of course is to have a central config server (maybe > just a file server or webdav server, maybe an LDAP server though LDAP > sucks for writes) rather than having arbitrary machines talk to each
> other.

Has any consideration been given to using a modified imap server for the
storage? you could keep the data format more or less the same, the
tricks would be auth and locking, but both of those have been handled in
imap before.

Oh, dear, please, no.

IMAP is designed to handle email messages, which have the useful feature that they don't change after delivery - just a very small amount of metadata about them does. (In IMAP's case, flags). IMAP takes huge advantage of this, so much so that nobody serious has used IMAP for storage of anything but email messages. (Yes, yes, I know there's a crowd of people who try to slam vCard data in each year, whose projects vanish into oblivion.)

LDAP, fine - it's designed as 'the one true data', but it can be coerced, just about, into handling per-person data, even if getting updates is a pain.

WebDAV, fine - after all, everything should run on port 80 to be taken seriously these days. Quite why we're using this dull old port 25 for this discussion is beyond me - imagine using an old protocol designed for the task in hand. But yes, sarcasm aside, WebDAV can be coerced into handling configuration data.

another option might be webdav but, well, webdav is a pain in the arse.

it might be worth looking at a lightweight feature-low imap-server as a
starting point.

Try having a play with ACAP.

Subversion, http://217.155.137.62/projects/infotrope/acapd/

(And a Python library lurking in ../python/ from the above base.)

I can't swear it's the most stable thing, yet, but it's certainly not too far off now, and works for me. If anyone actually does try it, feel free to ask me for help.

ACAP does almost everything GConf needs. I'd really like to backend GConf onto ACAP some day, and I will if I can find the time to learn glib and co.

Dave.