Re: [Fwd: GUADEC cancelled due to beer shortage]

On Sat, 2004-06-26 at 00:40 -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-06-24 at 11:27, Jerry Haltom wrote:
> > I suppose I don't REALLY have too much of a point in this email, other
> > than to point out that IMO effort should be directed to perfecting and
> > securing networkable Gconf, instead of tweaking the local file layout to
> > make it "work".
>
> I generally agree with you that networkable gconf is the right fix -
> that's been the goal for a long time, and the file layout hacks are just
> a recognition of the fact that networkable gconf doesn't seem to be
> happening in the immediate future :-/
>
> The way to fix it of course is to have a central config server (maybe
> just a file server or webdav server, maybe an LDAP server though LDAP
> sucks for writes) rather than having arbitrary machines talk to each
> other.

Has any consideration been given to using a modified imap server for the
storage? you could keep the data format more or less the same, the
tricks would be auth and locking, but both of those have been handled in
imap before.

another option might be webdav but, well, webdav is a pain in the arse.

it might be worth looking at a lightweight feature-low imap-server as a
starting point.

-sv