Re: [Fwd: GUADEC cancelled due to beer shortage]

On Sat, 2004-06-26 at 00:40 -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-06-24 at 11:27, Jerry Haltom wrote:
> > I suppose I don't REALLY have too much of a point in this email, other
> > than to point out that IMO effort should be directed to perfecting and
> > securing networkable Gconf, instead of tweaking the local file layout to
> > make it "work".
>
> I generally agree with you that networkable gconf is the right fix -
> that's been the goal for a long time, and the file layout hacks are just
> a recognition of the fact that networkable gconf doesn't seem to be
> happening in the immediate future :-/
>
> The way to fix it of course is to have a central config server (maybe
> just a file server or webdav server, maybe an LDAP server though LDAP
> sucks for writes) rather than having arbitrary machines talk to each
> other.

Another problem is that there is currently no standard mechanism for an
LDAP server to notify a client that a value has changed.  The OpenLDAP
people have been doing some work through the IETF in this area, but I am
not sure where it has got to:

  http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-zeilenga-ldup-sync-05.txt

Keith.