keyboard only beeps

Hello,

It has just become the case that my keyboard only
beeps when in gnome. No action is taken as a result of
the keyboard strokes and no characters are echoed.

This happened in the midst of gnome session!

What have I done and how can I undo it?

A few weeks ago I noticed that numbers struck on the
numeric keypad were no longer recognized.

Is this a progressive disease?

Thanks for your help.

I tried to look in the archives, but have insufficient
permission, apparently, to be able to view those.