Re: hardcoded values in ~/.gconf

On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 11:44:25AM +0100, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> Hi Jody,
> 	So, I think what I was getting at was that all we need is a convenience
> hack rather than actually complicating the value model

Yes that was my understanding of our conversation too.

> char *gconf_map_symbols_in_string   (GConfSymbolMapping  mappings[],
>                                      const char         *str);
> char *gconf_unmap_symbols_in_string (GConfSymbolMapping  mappings[],
>                                      const char         *str);
>
> 	(The "mapped"/"unmapped" terminology is confusing here. We'd certainly
> want something better.)

Seems reasonable
1) I agree map/unmap is not ideal.   The verb for expansion is
    simple (expand or substitute seem reasonable).  I'm drawing a
    blank going the other way.  Coalesce ? Find ? Contract ?

2) For the sake of safety we may want to include a bit more
    information on how the patterns would match.  Something like
    type == PREFIX, to protect against
	/local/home/backupdir/local/home