Restart machine after setting mandatory attributes.

Hi,

I have been trying to use gconf to make some of my configurations
mandatory, by setting it in the mandatory config source.

I use the following command (as an example):
gconftool-2 --direct --config-source \
xml:readwrite:/etc/opt/gnome/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory \
--set --type bool /desktop/gnome/file_views/show_hidden_files false.

After this, I verified that the value has been updated in the
relevant xml file.

However, unless I restart the server, the setting does not seem to be
reflected in the file browser.

I tried the same with some other application keys as well and get the
same behavior.

Is a restart expected for mandatory attributes to take effect. Is
there
any other command I can use to refresh the settings without a restart.
Or is there anything less severe than restart of the server
that can be tried. I tried to look in the documentation of gconf but
could
not find any details on this.

Thanks for any help and pointers.

Hemanth