Improving API for lists, or wildcarded schemas

I'm writing a program that displays one or more gauges, each gauge
having its own options. There can be up to 16 gauges, so I need a way of
handling related sets of options. I'm currently using lists, but they're
a little awkward to work with. Could you make it easier to read or write
one item at a time in a list, based on g_list_nth()?

ALternatively, instead of using lists I could use options called
"sensor1", "sensor2" etc all the way up to 16, but defining them all
properly in the schemas file would bloat it. Is it possible to make one
schema apply to multiple options eg "sensor*"? If not, would it be
reasonable to add such a capability?

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk