Re: <<< Rebuilding Nuked "/etc/gconf" >>>

Howdie:

Just to close out the "issue" created with the root post (unless otherwise advised):

It looks like "rm- rf /et/gconf" is a bad thing. A **VERY** bad thing.

I mistakenly thought that the source gconf tarball would recreate a default set of prefs which would allow me to fire up X, and that perhaps, just perhaps, most of the core X apps were "smart enough" to set their own prefs in "/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults/apps/*"--- but no such luck.

Im still stuck with a blue X background, and moveable pointer-- but no GNOME/NAUTILUS after the following troubleshooting session on core RH-Fedora-i686/kernel 2.4/X-4.3:

1- Reinstalled gconf -1.2 from source
-- seemed like the right place to start

2- Reran gconf-sanity-check-2
-- No output, nada Zilch
-- Did however find some clues on the console when X shut down ungracefully concerning metacity's need for key-- .../apps/metacity/general/num_workspaces

2- Reinstalled libgnome-2.2, all gnome-*(2.2), all nautilus-*(2.2), metacity-3.4 from RPMs
-- seemed to create the core "/etc/gconf/" directory structure
-- but did not provide a core set of prefs to fire up X

3- Set "/etc/syslog.config" to report gconf errors as suggested in:
http://www.gnome.org/projects/gconf/
--This resulted in resetting the permission to "+RW" on the "/etc/gconf/" directory structure
-- Also restarting the "nfslock" service which seems to be needed by gconf

4-Hand edited a "/etc/gconf/2/path" file
--X liked this, as I get a blue screen and pointer
--Tells me X and window Mgr are functioning
--No Gnome-panel/Nautilus--sounds like a Nautilus preference thing

5-Reinstalled nautilus-2.2 again
-- Thought this may be a package order install thing-- no luck

6-Tried to force new themes on Gnome, by resetting "/desktop/gnome/interface/icon_theme" to "default", Reinstalled gnome-themes-2.3 -- Now Ive lost my nice Blue X background (wind mgr thing-?) Im stuck at the grey X default
--  Pointer still works--!!

7-Checked all xinit services, gconfd-2
-- ALL default Services seem to be up and running
-- ALTHOUGH ILL BET THEY MUST ALL BE REINSTALLED FROM RPMS TO SET CORRECT PREFS
-- Well, I have to kill them after ctr-alt-bs, to end my aborted X session

Im opting to Reboot-ReRoll-ReInstall.

Gconf looks ALOT like the big bad ugly BLACK BOX that is the Windows Registry.
Argh.

What did I miss?

Cheers-
JJQ