Re: Faster automatic shutdown

Hi Sean,

On Wed, 2003-10-01 at 14:50, Sean Atkinson wrote:
> > 	You're certain you can ping the hostname of the server on the client ?
>
> Yes, checked that too - both have entries in /etc/hosts.  Sorry, forogt
> to confirm that in my previous mail.
>
> > 	I guess do an strace -f gconftool-2 -g /
>
> That didn't work out (no value set for '/') - could "gconftool-2 -R /"
> be useful?

	If it said no value set for '/' - it must have gone over the network to
get that answer; (surely), if so - it should do likewise when you log
in.

> I've started logging debug output via syslog, and experimenting with the
> code to try and understand what's going on.  I notice Havoc suggests
> that ORBit2 should allow testing when all clients are gone for immediate
> shutdown, but he hasn't got around to coding it.  Any thoughts on
> exploring that route and getting this fixed?

	Sure; you can do a load of ORBit_small_listen_for_broken stuff in
gconfd on the client handles, and track when they go away. Ultimately
though, I'd try to fix the underlying problem. FWIW it works just fine
here I was logging into my RH8 laptop and my RH9 workstation as the same
user sharing the same gconfd-2 instance over the network only a few days
ago.

	Regards,

		Michael.

--
 michael ximian com  <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot