Re: Local locks patch, did that go anywhere?

Hi Federic,

On Wed, 2003-03-26 at 09:56, Frederic Crozat wrote:
> Make sure code doesn't crash/loop when /tmp is not readable (we set it
> that way in "paranoia" mode for Mandrake Linux)... I've already a patch
> for ORBit2 and gtk.. I hope I won't need another one for GConf :)

	Since it uses the same code; it will use the same fix.

	However - I must say that making /tmp un-readable is to my mind
extremely dumb; it becomes impossible (AFAICS) to synchronize a
directory for sharing between two user processes in a race-free way.

	The irony is that the hack for un-readable /tmps actually makes ORBit2
vulnerable to a DOS that is not a problem in the 'lower security' mode
:-)

	Then again; perhaps you have some cunning scheme that I'm not aware of
that fixes this problem. Please do construct some pseudo-code to get a
shared user-owned /tmp directory though and we'll see ...

	Regards,

		Michael.