Re: Local locks patch, did that go anywhere?

On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 06:51:06PM +0000, Julian King wrote:
> Umm, could you not hardwire paths in like that please?  We did
> that on a local copy, and didn't feed it back to the list because
> that is such an irritating thing for everyone else when you do it.

We can use g_get_tmp_dir(), though linc_get_tmpdir() may already do
so. Thanks for reviewing the patch.

Michael, thanks for the fix, I'll get this in.

> Also, depending on the logic it would be nice if it only fell back
> to this after it found out that the filesystem it had been planning
> on using wasn't up to some bit of functionality (hard links, locking,
> whatever) and so degraded to /tmp gracefully(ish) if needed.

I don't *think* I can do this reliably... it's probably not worth
trying, since the place I want to get is to just always use /tmp by
default. Really with the security stuff fixed, it's already going to
be mostly fine to always use /tmp.

The disadvantage to always using /tmp is if you log in to two separate
machines, you may lose changes made on one of them. *Conceivably* also
an app like gnome-terminal with complex configuration could get
confused if half the saved config is from one system and half from the
other, but I doubt it will happen much in practice.

The solution is really to use file change monitoring, probably, so
that multiple gconfd can change the files and the others will pick it
up.