Re: GConf Sources and notifications.

On Mon, 2003-03-24 at 17:41, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 24, 2003 at 04:46:38PM +0000, Dave Cridland [Home] wrote:
> >
> > I can't seem to figure out how a GConfSource notifies the main engine
> > that a value has changed, which is slightly confusing, to say the least.
> >

> It's broken right now, the notification is just done by intercepting
> the change on the gconfd level. It needs to be changed so that the
> notification comes out of the backend.

Found the relevant code, now.

Damn, that breaks an ACAP backend completely. I'm honestly thinking the
best way to tackle ACAP support is to actually write a new gconfd -
trying to get ACAP into the existing framework, which was essentially
designed for dumb, single-user access, backends, looks close to being a
non-starter.

I can get a buggy backend in place, but gconf clients (as in, apps) will
end up out of sync if they unset a value, or if anyone else sets one
from another machine, rendering the entire point of an ACAP backend
worthless.

On top of that, many of the advantages of ACAP over any other protocol
in existence for the job vanish completely.

And in any case GConf will complain that there's no writable database
every time on load, since the ACAP backend wouldn't be *all* writable.

Still, at least we have a GPL ACAP server, anyways.

Dave.