Re: syncronizing gconf settings on a network

On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 09:05:58AM -0700, Andreas J. Guelzow wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-03-03 at 05:49, Joshua N Pritikin wrote:
> > No, but there is nothing in hosts.deny except "ALL: PARANOID" so
> > it shouldn't matter.
>
> Unfortunately this makes things even more complicated. ALL:PARANOID will
> prohibit access for machines where the address doesn't match the name. I
> assume that as a result this translate problems with name resolution or
> content of /etc/hosts and so on into problems with server/client
> communication including problems with communication between gconf
> clients on one host and gconfd servers on another. As a result with the
> ALL:PARANOID setting it will be nearly impossible to debug client/server
> problems.

Further investigation:

gconf-sanity-check-1 fails with "Failed to get a file lock".  My login
on machine#1 works fine with normal fonts (even without fixing gconfd).
The fonts are messed up when i login to machine#2.

i fixed the problems reported by gconf-sanity-check-1.

i logout and login again on machine#2.  Now the fonts look fine.

So it seems like there isn't a good fallback on machine#2 if
it is unable to find a working gconfd.  However, there are good
fallbacks on machine#1.  Why don't i have good fallbacks everywhere?

> > Yes, gconfd-2.  However, i am seeing a working gnome session now and
> > gconfd-2 is running on the machine.  So it seems like the font problem
> > is not correlated with whether gconfd-2 is running or not.
>
> I am not sure about your answer. I believe you are saying that
>
> a) occasionally with gconfd-2 running on the local machine you do _not_
> see the font problem
>
> b) occasionally with gconfd-2 running on the local machine you _do_  see
> the font problem

Yes.  It seems like it doesn't matter where gconfd is running.

> More likely would be a font rendering problem rather than an incorrect
> default font size.

xdpyinfo reports reasonable DPI values.  Where else should i check?

--
Victory to the Divine Mother!!         after all,
  http://sahajayoga.org                  http://why-compete.org