gnome-termail profiles question

[please reply to me (cc the list if you like), as I'm not on the list]

This may not be the right list. If that's the case, please direct me to
the correct place for this query.

I have a program called "rterm" which takes a hostname and various other
optional parameters and launches a terminal that's logged into that host
(usually via ssh, with various good default command-line arguments).

This program has evolved with me over time from a 3-liner shell script
to a very over-developed Perl program with support for multiple
windowing environments, process detaching, profile management, etc.

On moving to Gnome2, I found that all of my terminals had the same
settings (and not the settings that I had set up for them in Gnome1). I
traced this back to the elimination of the "--tclass" argument, which I
was using to set a terminal class based on the remote hostname (which
allowed me to configure each remote host login with its own look for
ease of identification when I have 20 windows up).

So, here's the question: how do I use the new gnome-terminal / profile /
configuration / gconf system to have this effect:

1. Ideally pick up a general set of prefs that I use for local terminals

2. Store changes to settings only for this remote host

3. Work even when the given profile does not exist yet (e.g. a new host)

Currently, I'm trying to use "--window-with-profile=hostname" (e.g.
hostname=mail), but that fails silently by default, and with a warning
if I specify "--disable-factory". That warning is:

	No such profile 'mail', using default profile

This is a correct, but annoying message. I want to tell it to create
that!

Thanks!