Re: Sudenly '/home/me/.gconf/apps/panel' lost ..

On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 12:59:04AM +0100, Thomas Kraus-Rump wrote:

> after trying to enable the 'dma' option for the 'dvd' harddisk 'hdb' to
> hear also a dvd-music-trail without chopping i added the line: "options
> ide-cd dma=1" to '/etc/modules.conf' for "RedHat 8.0". So, for what i
> have found in the internet, everything runs fine. But when i restart the
> machine may be next day, and when i switched to 'startx' the panel from
> '/home/me/.gconf/apps/panel' is lost. The error message told: "Create a
> file /home/me/.gconf/apps/panel/172,378conf.xml goes wrong: file or
> directory not found".
> Delete that line in '/etc/modules.conf' and start again - everything is
> allright, like before - but i have no activate 'dma' for my 'dvd'.
> May be someone could give me a hint - would be great!

I guess it's possible it's caused by the DMA flag - there is a reason
DMA is off by default in Red Hat, which is that we know with some
drives DMA can break things. I'm not enough of a kernel expert to be
able to tell you if this is a possible symptom of DMA problems or not.