Re: automake & gconf

Havoc Pennington wrote:

On Sun, Dec 29, 2002 at 09:17:05AM -0800, Steven Jenkins wrote:

>On stock Red Hat 7.x, as far as I can tell, the AM_GCONF_SOURCE macro is
>hardcoded to run 'gconftool'. Red Hat 7.x does not provide 'gconftool',
>but calls it 'gconftool-1'.
>
>Should AM_GCONF_SOURCE be fixed to look for any of the names gconftool
>goes by, or is Red Hat missing a symlink?

It sounds like something needs fixing, but I'd have to go back and
install a 7.x system and think about it to know what.  In any case,
it's sort of too late to fix for 7.x, so... not much to be done.

I can work around it--I just want to understand what the right answer should be. On a system with a properly installed gconf, should there always be an executable called gconftool? If so, then it's easy to fix with a symlink. If not, then AM_GCONF_SOURCE needs to make configure look for alternate names.

For what it's worth, users shouldn't need to use the AM_GCONF_SOURCE
macro that comes with 7.x, you can include your own copy in
acinclude.m4, or users can just avoid running "aclocal" and use the
pregenerated configure script from your tarball.

I was unclear. The problem is that the pregenerated configure script runs gconftool, which doesn't exist on RH 7.3 (even though the script was generated on RH 7.3). You can get around it with

configure --with-gconf-source=`gconftool-1 --get-default-source`

which is a mouthful to type, so to speak.

Thanks to your last advice, I now have my application gconf-enabled. Very useful.

Steve