GConf 2.3.1 doesn't work properly

Hi,

GConf doesn't want to work at my computer any more. Every program (gconftool-2,
gconf-editor, gconf-sanity-check, example programs) display the message
"Failed to create : No such file or directory" at the start. I have checked
if gconfd is running and everything seems to be ok. GConfd-2 starts succesfully
(according to system log):

Apr 25 13:31:47 proton gconfd (tomek-1349): Resolved address "xml:readonly:/usr/local/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory" to a read-only config source at position 0
Apr 25 13:31:47 proton gconfd (tomek-1349): Resolved address "xml:readwrite:/home/tomek/.gconf" to a writable config source at position 1
Apr 25 13:31:47 proton gconfd (tomek-1349): Resolved address "xml:readonly:/usr/local/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults" to a read-only config source at position 2

But my system log is filled with a lot of messages following the previos one:

Apr 25 13:32:57 proton gconfd (tomek-1358): Failed to get lock for daemon, exiting: Failed to lock '/tmp/orbit-tomek/lock/ior': probably another process has the lock, or your operating system has NFS file locking misconfigured (Resource temporarily unavailable)

It look like that every "client" program I try to start doesn't find server
running and launch it once again causing error. I don't understand why
the lock file is located at the /tmp directory - according to GConf webpage
it should be in ~/.gconfd. But there is no such file there - there is only
"saved_state" file.

I have checked when gconftool-2 displays the error message. It is the result
of the call: "conf = gconf_engine_get_default();" in the gconftool-2.c.
Setting GCONF_DEBUG_TRACE_CLIENT variable doesn't influence programs output.

Do you have any idea what's wrong? I'm not sure when my problems started,
but I have upgraded some Gnome packages from 2.2 to 2.3.0 version recently.

I have GConf 2.3.1.
Output of "ps jaxwww | grep gconf":
1009  1481  1481  1009 pts/1     1481 S     1000   0:00 gconfd-2
Output of gconf-sanity-check2:
Failed to create : No such file or directory
Operating system:
Debian 3.0 with kernel 2.4.20, single workstation

--
------Tomasz Majchrzak-------
Registered Linux User #287894