Re: Necessary to restart gconfd after installing schemas

On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 02:15:05PM -0500, Simon Bates wrote:
> If I login as user A and then su to root and install my application's
> schemas by running make install I am unable to read the default values
> from gconf as user A until I restart gconfd or log out and back in again.
>
> Is this expected or might I be installing the schemas incorrectly?

It is expected, though not optimal. There may be some clever way to
fix it, but no one has been enterprising enough to find it.

To really maintain full gconf semantics, if an app writes to the
config source (e.g. you install schemas), then gconfd should notify
all other apps of any just-changed values in the database.