Necessary to restart gconfd after installing schemas

If I login as user A and then su to root and install my application's schemas by running make install I am unable to read the default values from gconf as user A until I restart gconfd or log out and back in again.

Is this expected or might I be installing the schemas incorrectly?

I am installing the schemas with the following command:

GCONF_CONFIG_SOURCE=xml::/usr/gnome/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults \
gconftool-2 --makefile-install-rule gok.schemas

/usr/gnome/etc/gconf/2/path includes this entry:

xml:readonly:/usr/gnome/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults

Thank you very much,
Simon.