Re: gconf 1.0.x activates gconfd-2 server ?

Le lun 25/03/2002 à 18:40, Havoc Pennington a écrit :

> Frederic Crozat <fcrozat mandrakesoft com> writes:
> >
> > I'm currently integrating GNOME 2 in Mandrake cooker and I've found one
> > problem when both GConf 1.0.x and GConf 1.1.x are installed on the same
> > system.
> >
> > If user had galeon 1.2.x installed on his system, with galeon schemas
> > registered in GConf 1, after installing gconf 1.1, galeon will not
> > longer find its configuration info because its schemas is not registered
> > in gconf2 database and gconf-internal from gconf 1.0.x always try to
> > launch gconfd-2 if available (from ChangeLog : 2002-01-23  Havoc
> > Pennington  <hp pobox com>
> > gconf/gconf-internals.c(gconf_activate_server): try to use gconfd-2 if
> > it exists)
> >
> > Here is the problem..
> >
> > There is two solutions :
> > -change launch order in gconf 1.0.x (first gconfd-1 otherwise gconfd-2)
> > -when installing GConf2, re-register all installed schemas from 1.0.x
> > database in 1.1.x database (I'm not sure we will not be losing some
> > settings..)
> >
> > Havoc, WDYT ?
>
> Check out my web page I just made, www.gnome.org/projects/gconf

I didn't had time yet, but I've just checked it.. So, I was in the wrong
direction when I was guessing gconfd-1 and -2 were using separate
databases..

> You are shipping a GNOME 2 preview in a different prefix?

No, same prefix as gnome 1 (ie /usr)

> If you're doing that, what I would do is ship a default
> /opt/gnome2/etc/gconf/2/path that's identical to
> /etc/gconf/1/path, so that both gconfd are using the same storage.
> That should solve the problem.

That is strange, since both use the same prefix, gconfd-1 and gconfd-2
store their info in the same database (ie /etc/gconf/gcnf.xml.mandatory
and /etc/gconf/..

I'm wondering if gconfd-2 is more strict about schemas than gconfd-1,
and maybe there is a bug in galeon 1.2 schemas which is only shown with
gconfd-2...
--
Frédéric Crozat
MandrakeSoft