Unexpected behaviour

I have experiencing some unexpected behaviour with GConf:

If I add schemas such that there is a directory, p, that contains only subdirectories and no keys, and then add a subdirectory, q, off p as a user, I cannot access q until I put a key into p.

I have been able to recreate the behaviour using the following:

Install these schemas:

<gconfschemafile>
  <schemalist>
    <schema>
      <key>/schemas/extra/test/onlysubdirs/defaultdir/defaultkey</key>
      <applyto>/extra/test/onlysubdirs/defaultdir/defaultkey</applyto>
      <owner>test</owner>
      <type>string</type>
      <default>default value</default>
      <locale name="C">
      </locale>
    </schema>
    <schema>
      <key>/schemas/extra/test/dummmykey</key>
      <applyto>/extra/test/dummykey</applyto>
      <owner>test</owner>
      <type>string</type>
      <default>dummy value</default>
      <locale name="C">
      </locale>
    </schema>
  </schemalist>
</gconfschemafile>

I am installing them as root using:

GCONF_CONFIG_SOURCE=xml::/gnome-2.0-desktop-final/INSTALL/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults
export GCONF_CONFIG_SOURCE
gconftool-2 --makefile-install-rule test-gconf.schemas

Now as a regular user if I do the following I get the behaviour:

$ gconftool-2 -R /extra/test/onlysubdirs

Displays /extra/test/onlysubdirs/defaultdir/defaultkey

$ gconftool-2 -s /extra/test/onlysubdirs/testdirectory/testkey --type=string testvalue
$ gconftool-2 -R /extra/test/onlysubdirs

Does not display /extra/test/onlysubdirs/testdirectory/testkey

$ gconftool-2 -s /extra/test/onlysubdirs/dummy --type=string dummyvalue
$ gconftool-2 -R /extra/test/onlysubdirs

Now displays /extra/test/onlysubdirs/testdirectory/testkey

I have tested this with the GConf that comes with the GNOME2 release and with the latest GConf (July 10) from cvs.

I was not sure if I was doing something wrong or if this is a bug in GConf. Should I submit a bug to Bugzilla or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks a lot,
Simon.