Re: Schemas install location

On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 10:39:26AM -0500, Simon Bates wrote:
> I was wondering if the installation of an application's schemas file at
> 'make install' is currently supported if the application is installed
> under a different prefix than the one that GConf was installed under?
>
> When I install the schemas for my application my schemas file is
> installed relative to the prefix that my application is installed under
> rather than the prefix that GConf was installed under.

That's fine, because the schemas file isn't used at runtime.

> Is there some way of determining the GConf install prefix at application
> 'make install'?

You don't want to do this. Installing out-of-prefix is always wrong;
if it's necessary, the software is broken. Because the whole purpose
of --prefix is to be able to install software without writing to the
normal prefix. e.g. in your home directory. If you install files
out-of-prefix then people who need --prefix won't be able to use
--prefix.