Schemas install location

I was wondering if the installation of an application's schemas file at
'make install' is currently supported if the application is installed
under a different prefix than the one that GConf was installed under?

When I install the schemas for my application my schemas file is
installed relative to the prefix that my application is installed under
rather than the prefix that GConf was installed under.

Is there some way of determining the GConf install prefix at application
'make install'?  If not what are the consequences of installing the
schemas file under the application install prefix?

Thank you very much,
Simon.

--

My Makefile.am contains:

schemadir = @GCONF_SCHEMA_FILE_DIR@
schema_DATA = gok.schemas

And the generated Makefile contains:

sysconfdir = ${prefix}/etc
GCONF_SCHEMA_FILE_DIR = $(sysconfdir)/gconf/schemas/
schemadir = $(sysconfdir)/gconf/schemas/
schema_DATA = gok.schemas

So, gok.schemas will be installed relative to ${prefix}, the gok
application install prefix, rather than the GConf install prefix.