gconf configuration problem.

It may be a gconf problem, it may be an orbit problem.  If somebody
could show me what I am doing wrong that would be much appreciated.

I see the problem when I start up galeon, but also when I start up
gconftool.

1.) I have the following configuration.
    linux kernel 2.2.17.
    debian potato, slightly altered, but with the stock kernel.
    gconf 1.0.8-1.ximian
    orbit 0.5.13-ximian.1
      Note: These last two are the latest I can get upgrading from
            Ximian.
    XVnc running inside of a local X.  (I often work remotely, so I
    like to keep the same desktop everywhere.)
2.) I start X with startgnome.  When I start gconftool I get
	[oldtom]: gconftool --all-dirs /
	Error listing dirs: Configuration server couldn't be contacted:
	 Adding client to server's list failed, CORBA error:
		IDL:CORBA/COMM_FAILURE:1.0

I get the same when I start galeon.  I have no idea how to diagnose this
problem.  It started when my machine crashed.  I suspect that fsck did
not repair the file system completely, and something is hosed in the
gconf database, or else in the corba subsystem somehow, but I am without
a clue.

If anybody could help me I would greatly appreciate it.

Tnx.
--
Just call me Svejk.
Bill White                 bill white grigggsinst com