Gconf without Gnome

I've got a child process that needs to access gconf for preferences. It
runs as a server in the background and does not need Gnome or GTK.
Documentation at

http://developer.gnome.org/feature/archive/gconf/gconf.html

states it can be used in this way but I can't find an example that does
not do a gtk_init or gnome_init at some point. Could someone please
point me at an example. Is this what GConfEngine is for instead of
GConfClient?

I also plan for the parent to handle notify callbacks from Gconf for the
preferences, then send messages to any child processes it has so they
can grab the updated preferences. I'm trying to keep the size of the
child processes down by not including gnome/gtk since I don't need them
so does this seem OK.

Thanks,

Paul